Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Challenge Issued to Anti-Smoking Groups to Retract Fallacious Scientific Claims

Today I am issuing a challenge to anti-smoking groups which have made fallacious scientific claims about the acute cardiovascular health effects of secondhand smoke: retract or correct these claims and apologize for misleading the public. I think that's the only appropriate thing to do, and I think it's necessary in order to preserve the credibility of the tobacco control movement.

I won't repeat all the specific claims here, but from what I can tell, there are at least 44 groups that have made such claims (and this is not a comprehensive list).

I have summarized the groups and their claims here and here.

I will be monitoring the status of these claims, and will report to my readers if any retractions or corrections are made.

No comments: