As an exercise, I used the same data (the 2016 Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance Survey) to show that by the same reasoning, making a quit attempt increases your risk of a heart attack.
Here are some other factors that increase your risk for a heart attack, based on the 2016 BRFSS:
- Having health care insurance (67% increase in heart attack risk)
- Having a health care provider (174% increase)
- Going to the doctor annually for a routine physical exam (150% increase in risk)
- Having ever received the pneumonia vaccine (253% increase in risk)
- Ever having had a mammogram (52% increase in risk)
By the way, the same analysis reveals that compared to vaping only occasionally, you reduce your risk of a heart attack substantially if you vape every single day.
In fact, daily vapers are at lower risk of having reported a heart attack than people who never vaped!